How Social Media can Impact your Job Search
As social media becomes more prevalent and impacts our lives, you can be sure that it will also impact your job search and career. There are tons of ways it can affect your job search. Recruitment agencies and hiring managers are using it as an effective element of the recruiting and hiring process. Whether you are looking for a job, actively or passively, there are some things that you should know about social media and how it can impact your job search.
Positive Impact of Social Media on Job Search
If you are a frequent user of social media, and you use it wisely it can be a powerful tool to use during your job search. You may be informed of jobs earlier, expand your professional network, grow your professional brand, and do many other things that can count well in your job search. Some of these things include:
- With social media, you can find better job openings. Nowadays, companies are making their online presence count and they are posting jobs on social media platforms as well to have better talent. Companies have found this channel to be an important and efficient avenue to expand their recruiting “net.”
- With social media, you can develop a good online image. Like it or not, hiring managers, recruiters, potential colleagues, usually check the social media accounts of the candidates to get a better idea of what type of person the candidate is. Since they care about your personality, social media is a perfect place to find that out. This is why it is important to always be cognizant of what you post and how it could potentially impact your future career opportunities.
- You can see what type of company you are applying or interviewing for. Today companies are posting employee testimonials, and other insight into what life is like working for them. Also, you can reach out to current and former employees to gain greater insight into how life is really like at the company. This is why it is important to understand when utilized appropriately you can expand your professional network, and gain greater insight as you grow your career.
Negative Impact of Social Media on Job Search
While it can be beneficial, social media can still be a threat to your professional career if you do not utilize it appropriately. Here are ways social media can have a negative impact on your job search:
- Your profile might not speak positively towards your professionalism and ethics. After all, people often use social media for entertainment and in some cases to provide others entertainment. Thus, you are not bound to share the things that depict how professional you are in your personal life. However, it is important to understand you may be judged through social media, and in some cases it might not benefit you in the job search and/or hiring process.
- Your privacy can be violated. If you are going to join the company as a new employee you probably would like your future managers and colleagues to form their initial opinions of you based on meeting you in-person (or virtually). However, this may not be a reality in the age of social media, if you utilize social media. As individuals search and find your online profiles, there may be things that allow them to create an image in their mind which can pollute the first impression.
As social media increasingly becomes an essential part of our lives, it is better to be on the safe side and make an employer-friendly profile. Nowadays, the moment you meet someone, you start looking for them on social media to know more, and that is the same case with the hiring process. What you can do is to make sure that you are maintaining your profile well especially when you are looking for a job.