Under direction, supervises, assigns, and reviews the work of staff responsible for the performance of complex chemical, bacteriological, and physical analyses using sophisticated laboratory instrumentation in the operation of a water and wastewater treatment laboratory; reviews, comments and makes recommendations to ensure compliance with environmental laws and regulations; ensures work quality and adherence to established policies and procedures; performs the more technical and complex tasks relative to assigned area of responsibility; and performs related duties as assigned.
- Direct responsibility of industrial waste pretreatment program.
- Direct supervision of laboratory staff members
- Maintains a safe work environment and ensures that crew members are both aware of safe working practices and applying them.
- General administration, issuing and review of permit applications and industrial permits.
- Performing annual facility and self-monitoring inspections, maintaining sample results, data and records associated with said data.
- Maintains program policies and procedures governing industrial user compliance.
- Coordinates and maintains the program governing septic waste and process sludge disposal at the wastewater facility.
- Generates billings for permit fees, waste disposal charges, fines, penalties and surcharges.
- Thorough knowledge of the process involved in testing and pretreatment of wastewater.
- Knowledge of Federal, State and local laws pertaining to industrial wastewater and pre-treatment.
- Ability to perform standard laboratory analysis of wastewater.
- Ability to maintain accurate records and prepare clear and concise reports.
- Consideration of theoretical and practical knowledge of the legal structure of pretreatment regulations and the management of regulatory programs.
- General knowledge of all aspects of environmental management, in particular, industrial and municipal wastewater treatment, solid waste management and hazardous waste management.
- Ability to plan, organize, direct and control comprehensive industrial control programs including inspection, monitoring, analysis and permitting.
- Ability to make independent investigations of pretreatment problems and determine the compliance with regulations.
- Ability to plan, coordinate, monitor, motivate and supervise work of subordinates.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with associates, industrial customers, contractors and the public.
- Ability to read and understand plans, maps, blueprints and working drawings and related materials.
- Ability to deal effectively with public officials, the public at large and secure their cooperation.
- Ability to react and respond to emergency situations.
- B.S. degree in biology, chemistry or sanitary engineering and three (3) years of responsible and diversified experience in the field of industrial waste control or regulation, or any equivalent combination of experience and training which provides the required knowledge, skills and abilities.
- Demonstrated knowledge of Federal, State and local pretreatment regulations.
- Valid (State) Class C driver’s license, or equivalent.
- (State) Wastewater Treatment certificate desirable.
Click here to view available jobs like this!